Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What's in a name?

Mike and Henry with his Grandma Bonnie and Grandpa Bill
Grandma, Poppy, and I at my wedding

Poppy and I at his birthday party at the Tigers game


Many people have asked Mike and I how we chose the name Henry William. Both of these names are very important and meaningful to us....they are the first names of our mom's fathers. William is Mike's grandfathers name, and Henry was my grandfathers name.

I wanted to take a minute share the story of my grandpa, otherwise know as Poppy to his grandchildren. Even though he is no longer with us, the memories I have of Poppy are still very vibrant and close to my heart. One of my favorite things to tell people is that he played baseball for the Detroit Tigers! He has one of the coolest scrapbooks....with newspaper clippings from all the big games he pitched in, and photo's from the different teams he played on. He spent time in the minor leagues pitching for the Durham Bulls and Toledo Mudhens. He even has a letter from a New York Yankees recruiter! (No pressure little Henry!) Poppy was known as "Hollerin' Hank Johnson," and sometimes when Henry is crying and won't stop, I call him that too!

Not only was he a phenomenal baseball player, he was an amazing person as well. He was a loving husband, great father, and a very hands on grandfather. He was always cooking up his gourmet meals for his grand kids, coaching our basketball teams, taking us up north to his cottage, and much more. We all miss him and my grandma so much. In fact, if Henry would have been a girl, we were going to name her after my grandma, Kathleen! Maybe next time....:)

It is an honor that Mike and I were able to name our first born after this great man. I know our Henry will make Poppy proud, even if he doesn't make it to the major leagues (but maybe he can pull some strings upstairs!).

As far as Henry's middle name, William, we are very lucky to have Great Grandpa Bill! He was able to see Henry just hours after he was born, since he and Great Grandma Bonnie were in Michigan on vacation. They are happily retired down in Augusta, and have been married for over 50 years! They are perhaps the happiest couple I know.....what great role models for Henry.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: